3-Minute "Healthy Sautéed" Asparagus"Healthy Sautéing" is my revolutionary new way to cook Asparagus. Top with the easy-to-prepare Mediterranean Dressing for a dish that is both delicious and health-promoting. For best results I recommend cooking Asparagus whole and cutting into pieces after cooking.(Taken from page 129 of the 2nd Edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.)
Prep and Cook Time: 3minutes
- 1 lb Asparagus (medium thickness)
- 3 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chop or press garlic and let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Snap or cut off the woody bottoms of Asparagus stems and save them for soup. Thick Asparagus may require peeling to remove tough skin.
- Heat 3 TBS broth or water in a stainless steel skillet covered with a tight fitting lid over medium heat if using a medium-size burner or medium-low heat if using a large burner. Watch broth closely as it will begin to steam in a few seconds.
- As soon as liquid begins to steam,add Asparagus. Cover with a tight fitting lid. and cook for 3 minutes. The outside will be tender, and the inside will be crisp. "Healthy Sauté" will concentrate both the flavor and nutrition of Asparagus.
- Transfer to a plate. For more flavor top Asparagus with the Dressing ingredients while it is still hot. (Mediterraean Dressing does not need to be made separately.) Research shows that fat-soluble vitamans and carotenoids found in foods, such as Asparagus, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.