Warm Asparagus SaladYou can add this easy-to-prepare salad to your Healthiest Way of Eating in a matter of minutes. Not only is it an excellent source of health-promoting vitamins A, C, and E, but it provides 16% of your Daily Value for folate. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 small onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 TBS light vinegar (rice, apple cider, or white wine)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 7-1/2 oz jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained and slivered (or 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced thin)
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice onion and place in a small bowl with vinegar and hot water while preparing rest of the ingredients.
- After about 10 minutes, remove onion from hot water and squeeze dry.
- While onions are marinating heat 3 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet.
- While broth is heating, snap off the woody bottom of asparagus stems, then cut the spears into 2-inch lengths. Cutting them into short pieces of equal length ensures quick, even cooking.
- When broth begins to steam, add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The outside will be tender and the inside will be crisp. Thinner spears will take about 3 minutes.
- Mix together roasted peppers with marinated onion, asparagus, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Marinate for 4-5 minutes and serve warm.
Optional: If you use fresh red bell peppers, Healthy Sauté them for 7 minutes and toss with rest of ingredients in place of roasted peppers.