Minted Green Peas & CarrotsPeas are nutritious, tasty and easy to prepare. Frozen vegetables (such as frozen peas) have been found to retain much of their nutritional value so if you don't have time to shuck fresh peas, use frozen. This dish is a great addition to just about any meal!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 10 oz package of frozen peas
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp fresh chopped mint
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 TBS Parmesan cheese, 3 TBS sunflower seeds or 1 TBS sliced almonds
- Peel and dice carrots into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in a steamer with a tight fitting lid.
- Place carrots in steamer basket. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes and then add peas and steam for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS broth in a 10-inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion over medium heat in broth for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add steamed carrots and peas along with mint, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and toss with lemon juice, and olive oil.