WHFoods Menu: Shiitake Sesame Chicken Rice Bowl The shiitake mushrooms in this recipe have long been known as a symbol of longevity in Asia because of their health-promoting properties have been used medicinally by the Chinese for more than 6,000 years. No health benefit is better documented for shiitake mushroom than immune support. On the one hand, numerous studies have shown the ability of whole shiitake mushrooms to help prevent excessive immune system activity. On the other hand, an equal number of studies have shown the ability of shiitake mushrooms to help stimulate immune system responses under certain circumstances. The cruciferous vegetables, broccoli and napa cabbage, add an additional powerhouse of nutrients to your WHFoods 7-Day Meal Plan. Enjoy this Asian-style bowl; it's a meal-in-one!
Note: You will need to prepare 1/2 cup brown rice for this meal. This can be done ahead of time. Follow directions on package for best results.
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed
- 3/4 cup scallions (green onion), with white part, cut into one inch pieces
- 3 TBS low sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 oz chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup broccoli (see instructions below)
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 TBS tamari soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: red chili flakes to taste
- Chop or press garlic and slice scallions and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Separate broccoli florets with small stems from the large, thick stem. Slice smaller stems into 1/4 inch pieces. Slice florets into 4-6 pieces.
- Heat broth in a stainless steel skillet with the lid on.
- When broth begins to steam, add ginger, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes, covered.
- Add chicken and continue to saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, adding 1-2 TBS broth if needed.
- Add broccoli (stems and florets), cabbage and scallions, and sauté for another 4-5 minutes, covered.
- Turn off heat and add rice vinegar, tamari soy sauce, and olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and more tamari soy sauce to taste.
- Serve over 1/2 cup brown rice in a large bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Note: If you wish to use the large broccoli stem, cut off the bottom 1 inch of the stem. Peel the tough skin off the stem. Chop stem into 1/4-inch pieces and cook with rest of broccoli.