Braised Salmon with LeeksThis recipe is a powerhouse for supplying two difficult to find health-promoting nutrients for your Healthiest Way of Eating—vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. One serving provides 123% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin D and 106% DV for omega-3s. And it only takes 15 minutes to prepare. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cut off green tops of leeks and remove outer tough leaves. Cut off root and cut leeks in half lengthwise. Fan out the leeks and rinse well under running water, leaving them intact. Cut leeks into 2-inch lengths. Now, holding the leek sections cut side up, cut lengthwise so that you end up with thin strips, known as chiffonade cut. Make sure slices are cut very thin.
- Let leeks and garlic sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté leeks over medium heat in broth for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add 1/2 cup broth and lemon juice and simmer for another 5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Rub salmon with 1 TBS fresh lemon juice, salt and white pepper.
- Stir fresh tarragon, salt, and pepper into leeks, and place salmon on top of leeks. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes, covered, or until salmon is pink inside. Time may vary a little depending on thickness of salmon. Serve leeks topped with salmon and drizzle with juice.