Jump start your day with our nutritious blueberry smoothie that will help satisfy you until lunch! Research has found blueberries to provide a powerhouse of antioxidants and they are potentially beneficial for the nervous system and brain health. Now there is exciting new evidence that blueberries may improve memory. The wealth of health-protective nutrients in this smoothie include 69% Daily Value (DV) for dietary fiber to improve cardiovascular function including cholesterol metabolism, 61% DV for vitamin C to protect against free radical production, 50% DV for vitamin B1 for energy production, 50% DV for potassium to maintain health blood pressure, 37% DV for folate to help sustain brain and nervous system activity, 33% DV for vitamin E to help prevent heart disease, 28% DV for protein to help support proper body composition and much more!
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/2 medium apple, chopped (or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple)
- 1-1/2 cups spinach or curly kale
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 TBS sunflower seeds
- 1 cup coconut water
- 3-4 ice cubes (optional)
- Water or coconut water to thin
- Optional: 1/2-1 tsp grated ginger
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. If too thick, add water or coconut water to thin.