Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Aberoumand A. Comparison of Proximate and Mineral composition between Asparagus Oficinalis and Momordica dioica: Iranian and Indian Vegetables. Iranica Journal of Energy and Environment (IJEE) Year: 2010 Vol: 1 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 196-199. 2010.
- Albanese D, Russo L, Cinquanta L et al. Physical and chemical changes in minimally processed green asparagus during cold-storage. Food Chemistry Volume 101, Issue 1, 2007, Pages 274-280. 2007.
- Dawid C and Hofmann T. Quantitation and bitter taste contribution of saponins in fresh and cooked white asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). Food Chemistry, 2014, 145, Pages 427-436.
- Dawid C and Hofmann T. Identification of sensory-active phytochemicals in asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2012, 60, 48, Pages 11877-11888.
- Drinkwater JM, Tsao R, Liu R, et al. Effects of cooking on rutin and glutathione concentrations and antioxidant activity of green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis) spears. Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 12, January 2015, Pages 342-353.
- Hafizur RM, Kabir N, and Chishti S. Asparagus officinalis extract controls blood glucose by improving insulin secretion and β-cell function in streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats. Br J Nutr. 2012 Nov 14;108(9):1586-95.
- Huang XF, Lin YY and Kong LY. Steroids from the roots of Asparagus officinalis and their cytotoxic activity. J Integr Plant Biol. 2008 Jun;50(6):717-22. 2008.
- Jaramillo-Carmona S, Fuentes-Alventosa JM, Rodríguez-Gutiérrez G et al. Characterization of asparagus lignin by HPLC. J Food Sci. 2008 Sep;73(7):C526-32. Epub 2008 Aug 19. 2008.
- Jimenez-Sanchez C, Lozano-Sanchez J, Rodriguez-Perez C, et al. Comprehensive, untargeted, and qualitative RP-HPLC-ESI-QTOF/MS2 metabolite profiling of green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 46, March 2016, Pages 78-87.
- Jishi T, Maeda T, and Araki H. Comparison of external quality and hardness of white asparagus spears produced by two different blanching methods. Journal of the Japanese Society for Horticultural Science, 2012, 81, 1, Pages 54-59.
- Kulczynski B, Kobus-Cisowska J, Kmiecik D, et al. Antiradical capacity and polyphenol composition of asparagus spears varieties cultivated under different sunlight conditions. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment. 2016 Jul-Sep;15(3):267-279.
- Liu W, Huang XF, Qi Q et al. Asparanin A induces G(2)/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009 Apr 17;381(4):700-5. Epub 2009 Feb 28. 2009.
- Mitchell SC. Asparagus, urinary odor, and 1,2-dithiolane-4-carboxylic acid. Perspect Biol Med. 2013 Summer;56(3):341-51.
- Mitchell SC and Waring RH. Asparagusic acid Phytochemistry, Volume 97, January 2014, Pages 5-10.Nishimuro H, Ohnishi H, Sato M, et al. Estimated daily intake and seasonal food sources of quercetin in Japan. Nutrients. 2015 Apr 2;7(4):2345-58.
- Pelchat ML, Bykowski C, Duke FF et al. Excretion and perception of a characteristic odor in urine after asparagus ingestion: a psychophysical and genetic study. Chem Senses. 2011 Jan;36(1):9-17. Epub 2010 Sep 27. 2011.
- Phillips KM, Rasor AS, Ruggio DM et al. Folate content of different edible portions of vegetables and fruits. Nutrition and Food Science. Bradford: 2008. Vol. 38, Iss. 2; pg. 175. 2008.
- Podolak I, Galanty A, and Sobolewska D. Saponins as cytotoxic agents: a review. Phytochem Rev. 2010 September; 9(3): 425—474. Published online 2010 June. 2010.
- Sakaguchi Y, Ozaki Y, Miyajima I et al. al. Major anthocyanins from purple asparagus (Asparagus officinalis). Phytochemistry. 2008 May;69(8):1763-6. Epub 2008 Apr 10. 2008.
- Sanae M and Yasuo A. Green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis) prevented hypertension by an inhibitory effect on angiotensin-converting enzyme activity in the kidney of spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2013 Jun 12;61(23):5520-5.
- SÃ� ... 'upski J, Korus A, Lisiewska Z, et al. Content of amino acids and the quality of protein in as-eaten green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.) products. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 2010, 45, 4, Pages 733-739.
- Tiveron AP, Melo PS, Bergamaschi KB, et al. Antioxidant activity of Brazilian vegetables and its relation with phenolic composition. Int J Mol Sci. 2012;13(7):8943-57.
- Tiwari N, Gupta VK, Pandey P, et al. Adjuvant effect of Asparagus racemosus Willd. derived saponins in antibody production, allergic response and pro-inflammatory cytokine modulation. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, Volume 86, February 2017, Pages 555-561.
- Sun Z, Huang X and Kong L. A new steroidal saponin from the dried stems of Asparagus officinalis L. Fitoterapia. 2010 Apr;81(3):210-3. Epub 2009 Sep 12. 2010.
- Wang L, Wang X, Yuan X, Zhao B. Simultaneous analysis of diosgenin and sarsasapogenin in Asparagus officinalis byproduct by thin-layer chromatography. Phytochem Anal. 2011 Jan-Feb;22(1):14-7. doi: 10.1002/pca.1244. Epub 2010. 2011.
- Wu JJ, Cheng KW, Zuo XF et al. Steroidal saponins and ecdysterone from Asparagus filicinus and their cytotoxic activities. Steroids. 2010 Oct;75(10):734-9. Epub 2010 May 12. 2010.
- Zhao Q, Xie B, Yan J, et al. In vitro antioxidant and antitumor activities of polysaccharides extracted from Asparagus officinalis. Carbohydrate Polymers, Volume 87, Issue 1, 4 January 2012, Pages 392-396.
- Zheng H and Lu H. Effect of microwave pretreatment on the kinetics of ascorbic acid degradation and peroxidase inactivation in different parts of green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.) during water blanching. Food Chemistry, Volume 128, Issue 4, 15 October 2011, Pages 1087-1093.
- Zhou Y, Li Y, Zhou T, et al. Dietary Natural Products for Prevention and Treatment of Liver Cancer. Nutrients. 2016 Mar 10;8(3):156.
- Zhu X, Zhang W, Zhao J et al. Hypolipidaemic and hepatoprotective effects of ethanolic and aqueous extracts from Asparagus officinalis L. by-products in mice fed a high-fat diet. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 May;90(7):1129-35. 2010.
- Zhu, X, Zhang, W, Pang, X et al. Hypolipidemic Effect of n-Butanol Extract from Asparagus officinalis L. in Mice fed a High-fat Diet. Phytotherapy Research, n/a. 31 Jan 2011. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3380. 2011.