Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Aiyer HS, Li Y, Liu QH et al. Dietary freeze-dried black raspberry's effect on cellular antioxidant status during reflux-induced esophagitis in rats. Nutrition, Volume 27, Issue 2, February 2011, Pages 182-187.
- Ali L, Svensson B, Alsanius BW et al. Late season harvest and storage of Rubus berries-Major antioxidant and sugar levels. Scientia Horticulturae, Volume 129, Issue 3, 27 June 2011, Pages 376-381.
- Beekwilder J, Hall RD and de Vos CH. Identification and dietary relevance of antioxidants from raspberry. Biofactors. 2005;23(4):197-205. 2005.
- Bobinaite R, Viskelis P and Venskutonis PR. Variation of total phenolics, anthocyanins, ellagic acid and radical scavenging capacity in various raspberry (Rubus spp.) cultivars. Food Chemistry, Volume 132, Issue 3, 1 June 2012, Pages 1495-1501.
- Borquez RM, Canales ER and Redon JP. Osmotic dehydration of raspberries with vacuum pretreatment followed by microwave-vacuum drying. Journal of Food Engineering, Volume 99, Issue 2, July 2010, Pages 121-127.
- Bowen-Forbes CS, Zhang Y and Nair MG. Anthocyanin content, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties of blackberry and raspberry fruits. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 23, Issue 6, September 2010, Pages 554-560.
- Cekic C and Ozgen M. Comparison of antioxidant capacity and phytochemical properties of wild and cultivated red raspberries (Rubus idaeus L.). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 23, Issue 6, September 2010, Pages 540-544.
- Goto T, Teraminami A, Lee JY et al. Tiliroside, a glycosidic flavonoid, ameliorates obesity-induced metabolic disorders via activation of adiponectin signaling followed by enhancement of fatty acid oxidation in liver and skeletal muscle in obese—diabetic mice. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Volume 23, Issue 7, July 2012, Pages 768-776.
- Haffner K, Rosenfeld HJ, Skrede G et al. Quality of red raspberry Rubus idaeus L. cultivars after storage in controlled and normal atmospheres. Postharvest Biology and Technology, Volume 24, Issue 3, April 2002, Pages 279-289.
- Jeong JB and Jeong HJ. Rheosmin, a naturally occurring phenolic compound inhibits LPS-induced iNOS and COX-2 expression in RAW264.7 cells by blocking NF-kappa B activation pathway. Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 48, Issues 8—9, August—September 2010, Pages 2148-2153.
- Jeong JH, Jung J, Lee SR et al. Anti-oxidant, anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory activities of the extracts from black raspberry fruits and wine. Food Chemistry, Volume 123, Issue 2, 15 November 2010, Pages 338-344.
- Jin P, Wang SY, Gao H et al. Effect of cultural system and essential oil treatment on antioxidant capacity in raspberries. Food Chemistry, Volume 132, Issue 1, 1 May 2012, Pages 399-405.
- McDougall GJ, Kulkarnni NN and Stewart D. Berry polyphenols inhibit pancreatic lipase activity in vitro. Food Chemistry, Volume 115, Issue 1, 1 July 2009, Pages 193-199.
- Miromoto C, Satoh Y, Hara M et al. Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sciences, Volume 77, Issue 2, 27 May 2005, Pages 194-204.
- Ochoa MR, Kesseler AG, Vullioud MB et al. Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Raspberry Pulp: Storage Effect on Composition and Color. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 32, Issue 3, May 1999, Pages 149-153.
- Park KS. Raspberry ketone increases both lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Planta Med. 2010 Oct;76(15):1654-8. Epub 2010 Apr 27.
- Piljac-Zegarac J and Samec D. Antioxidant stability of small fruits in postharvest storage at room and refrigerator temperatures. Food Research International, Volume 44, Issue 1, January 2011, Pages 345-350.
- Ravoori S, Vadhanam MV, Aqil F et al. Inhibition of estrogen-mediated mammary tumorigenesis by blueberry and black raspberry. J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Jun 6;60(22):5547-55. Epub 2012 May 22.
- Rosillo MA, Sanchez-Hildago M, Cardeno A et al. Protective effect of ellagic acid, a natural polyphenolic compound, in a murine model of Crohn's disease. Biochemical Pharmacology, Volume 82, Issue 7, 1 October 2011, Pages 737-745
- Ross HA, McDougall GJ and Stewart D. Antiproliferative activity is predominantly associated with ellagitannins in raspberry extracts. Phytochemistry, Volume 68, Issue 2, January 2007, Pages 218-228.
- Sarvikivi E, Roivainen M, Maunula L et al. Multiple norovirus outbreaks linked to imported frozen raspberries. Epidemiol Infect. 2012 Feb;140(2):260-7. Epub 2011 Mar 22.
- Stober GD, Wang LS, Zikri N et al. Cancer prevention with freeze-dried berries and berry components. Seminars in Cancer Biology, Volume 17, Issue 5, October 2007, Pages 403-410.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service (USDA/ERS). (2011). Fruit situation and outlook yearbook, October 2011.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service (USDA/ERS). (2011). Vegetables and melons yearbook data, May 2011.
- Wang SY, Chen CT and Want CY. The influence of light and maturity on fruit quality and flavonoid content of red raspberries. Food Chemistry, Volume 112, Issue 3, 1 February 2009, Pages 676-684.
- Wu X, Beecher GR, Holden JM et al. Concentrations of Anthocyanins in Common Foods in the United States and Estimation of Normal Consumption. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 May 31;54(11):4069-4075. 2006.
- Zhang L, Li J, Hogan S et al. Inhibitory effect of raspberries on starch digestive enzyme and their antioxidant properties and phenolic composition. Food Chemistry, Volume 119, Issue 2, 15 March 2010, Pages 592-599.
- Zhang Z, Knobloch TJ, Seamon LG et al. A black raspberry extract inhibits
- proliferation and regulates apoptosis in cervical cancer cells. Gynecologic Oncology, Volume 123, Issue 2, November 2011, Pages 401-406.