Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Pumpkin seeds references
- Applequist WL, Avula B, Schaneberg BT et el. Comparative fatty acid content of seeds of four Cucurbita species grown in a common (shared) garden. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 19, Issues 6—7, September—November 2006, Pages 606-611.
- Butinar B, Bucar-Miklavcic M, Mariani C et al. New vitamin E isomers (gamma-tocomonoenol and alpha-tocomonoenol) in seeds, roasted seeds and roasted seed oil from the Slovenian pumpkin variety 'Slovenska golica'. Food Chemistry, Volume 128, Issue 2, 15 September 2011, Pages 505-512.
- Glew RH, Glew RS, Chuang LT et al. Amino acid, mineral and fatty acid content of pumpkin seeds (Cucurbita spp) and Cyperus esculentus nuts in the Republic of Niger. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2006 Jun;61(2):51-6.
- Krimer-Malesevic V, Madarev-Popovic S, Vastag Z et al. Chapter 109 - Phenolic Acids in Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo L.) Seeds. Nuts and Seeds in Health and Disease Prevention, 2011, Pages 925-932.
- Li T, Ito A, Chen X, Long C et al. Usefulness of pumpkin seeds combined with areca nut extract in community-based treatment of human taeniasis in northwest Sichuan Province, China. Acta Trop. 2012 Nov;124(2):152-7. Epub 2012 Aug 11.
- Makni M, Fetoui H, Gargouri NK et al. Antidiabetic effect of flax and pumpkin seed mixture powder: effect on hyperlipidemia and antioxidant status in alloxan diabetic rats. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, Volume 25, Issue 5, September—October 2011, Pages 339-345.
- Makni M, Sefi M, Fetoui H et al. Flax and Pumpkin seeds mixture ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 48, Issues 8—9, August—September 2010, Pages 2407-2412.
- Ovca A, van Elteren JT, Falnoga I et al. Speciation of zinc in pumpkin seeds (Cucurbita pepo) and degradation of its species in the human digestive tract. Food Chemistry, Volume 128, Issue 4, 15 October 2011, Pages 839-846.
- Sacilik K. Effect of drying methods on thin-layer drying characteristics of hull-less seed pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo L.). Journal of Food Engineering, Volume 79, Issue 1, March 2007, Pages 23-30.
- Shrivastava A and Gupta VB. Various treatment options for benign prostatic hyperplasia: A current update. J Midlife Health. 2012 Jan-Jun; 3(1): 10—19.
- Siegmiund B and Murkovic M. Changes in chemical composition of pumpkin seeds during the roasting process for production of pumpkin seed oil (Part 2: volatile compounds). Food Chemistry, Volume 84, Issue 3, February 2004, Pages 367-374.
- Sicilia T, Niemeyer HB, Honig DM et al. Identification and stereochemical characterization of lignans in flaxseed and pumpkin seeds. J Agric Food Chem. 2003 Feb 26;51(5):1181-8.
- Smeds AI, Eklund PC and Willfor SM. Content, composition, and stereochemical characterisation of lignans in berries and seeds. Food Chemistry, Volume 134, Issue 4, 15 October 2012, Pages 1991-1998.
- Vassiliou AG, Neumann GM, Condron R et al. Purification and mass spectrometry-assisted sequencing of basic antifungal proteins from seeds of pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima). Plant Science, Volume 134, Issue 2, 5 June 1998, Pages 141-162.
- Winkler C, Wirleitner B, Schennach KSH et al. Extracts of Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo L.) Seeds Suppress Stimulated Peripheral Blood Mononuclear in vitro.
- Journal: American Journal of Immunology Year: 2005 Vol: 1 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 6-11.
- Xanthopoulou MN, Nomikos T, Fragopoulou E et al. Antioxidant and lipoxygenase inhibitory activities of pumpkin seed extracts. Food Research International, Volume 42, Issues 5—6, June—July 2009, Pages 641-646.
- Yoshida H, Tomiyama Y, Hirakawa Y et al. Microwave roasting effects on the oxidative stability of oils and molecular species of triacylglycerols in the kernels of pumpkin (Cucurbita spp.) seeds. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 19, Issue 4, June 2006, Pages 330-339.
- Zaineddin AK, Buck K, Vrieling A et al. The association between dietary lignans, phytoestrogen-rich foods, and fiber intake and postmenopausal breast cancer risk: a German case-control study. Nutr Cancer. 2012;64(5):652-65. Epub 2012 May 16.